What to feed the pigeons?
The main inhabitants of the city squares, streets and roofshouses - pigeons, their diet consists of themselves: bread crumbs, the remains of someone's breakfast near the diner, the seeds donated by the child. For a long time the bird does not hold out on such food, the average life of a city pigeon is 2-3 years. In the wild, pigeons live for 12-15 years, and the main reason for this is proper nutrition. In natural conditions, birds prefer to eat grain, seeds of plants, grass.
Feeding domestic pigeons
So what to feed the pigeons, if they are your poultry.
- The basis should be different cereals, a special preference is given to barley and wheat.
- Also suitable are millet, which is usually used for feeding parrots, and peeled oats.
- Do not disdain doves and legumes: peas and lentils. This is a classic pigeon diet, but feeding also depends on the condition of the bird: if the dove is exhausted, increase the amount of legumes and oats, if on the contrary, the bird is fattened, for a short time, exclude these ingredients from food.
- To diversify the diet, use different plant seeds, for example, a rare pigeon will scribble with sunflower, rape, flax.
- An important component of proper nutrition of pigeons are mineral top dressings: sand and small shell rock, red clay or chipped red brick, ash, charcoal.
- You can not forget about vitamins. If the pigeon exists at home, it has no choice in food, and there is also a lack of sunlight, and hence vitamin D. In pet stores, there is a fairly large selection of vitamin supplements for pigeons.
With regard to serving volumes, the adultpigeon with an average weight of 600-700 grams, you need 60-65 grams of cereals and 10 grams of minerals and vitamins per day. It is desirable that the feeding time of pigeons is the same, it will develop discipline and the regime of the day in birds.