What is a thrombus?
Thrombus is a medical term related to the fieldcardiovascular diseases. Many have heard this word, but not everyone understands what a thrombus is. Not everyone knows that the culprits of death-threatening myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke are thrombi. The formation of thrombi can lead to gangrene, and the detached blood clot - to death. Let's try to understand what clots are, what contributes to their formation and how to treat them.
Thromb: Definition and Causes
A thrombus is a blood clot, consisting ofproteins, which is formed due to increased blood levels of platelets (special blood cells, "responsible" for blood coagulability). More details about them you can read in the article What is a platelet.
Thrombi are pathological formations inlumens of the blood vessels or in the cavity of the heart. Clots are formed, as a rule, as a result of atherosclerotic changes, increased blood viscosity and blood flow disorders. These clots are attached to the walls of blood vessels (parietal thrombi) or completely block the blood flow (obturating thrombi).
Types of thrombi
Thrombi are divided into species depending on their appearance, structure and cause of formation.
- White thrombi are formed most often in the arteries due to slow blood flow. The composition of this type of thrombus includes leukocytes, fibrin and platelets.
- White thrombi are usually formed in the veins also because of slow blood flow. The composition of this type of thrombus includes erythrocytes, fibrin and platelets.
- Mixed thrombi differ in their variegated appearance and layered structure. They are formed most often in the veins, in the heart cavity and in the aortic aneurysm.
- Hyaline thrombi. Their basic composition is destroyed erythrocytes, platelets and rarely fibrin. There is this kind of thrombus in thin-walled vessels, through which blood circulates between the veins and arteries.
Treatment and prevention
To prevent the appearance of thrombi and related diseases, three important life principles must be observed.
- Healthy diet, whose goal is to lower cholesterol. Such a diet should include as many vegetables, fruits, fish and greens as possible.
- Movable way of life. It is necessary to do daily exercises for at least half an hour. It is also desirable to walk and swim more.
- Maintaining normal blood viscosity, which is facilitated by taking blood thinning medications. To take measures of this nature is possible only if there is a need and only according to the doctor's prescription.
Treatment of thrombi is carried out by two main methods:
- Surgical: removal of a clot mechanically, as well as bypass and stenting.
- Therapeutic treatment: the dissolution of thrombi, the ligation of veins with the installation of traps for blood clots, drug therapy.
If you are interested in this information, then read our article How to increase platelets.