What is a suffix?
We all went to school for a long time and forgot a lot. But sometimes it is useful to remember school knowledge, especially from the field of the Russian language. In this article, we will recall what a word suffix is.
The suffix is the variable part of the word,which is located after the root. The suffix is selected with the symbol ^. A zero suffix is allocated 0 (zero). Why do I need a suffix? Suffixes serve for the formation of new words and various forms of the word.
What are the suffixes?
Types of suffixes:
- Suffixes are -ek and -ik. In the event that the vowel sound "e" falls when the word is declined, it suffices to write the suffix -ec. If the words with the declination retain the sound "and", then you need to write the suffix -ik. Examples: son-ee; kalach-and.
- The letters "h" and "ni" in the suffixes are the chic and -schar. In case these suffixes are after the letters "d", "t", "h", "c" and "g", you need to write the letter "h". In all other cases, "ui" is written. Examples: narrator, driller.
- The letters "o" and "e" after q and sibilant in suffixesadverbs, nouns and adjectives. In case the suffix of the noun, adjective and adverb is stressed, it is necessary to write the letter "ni", without stress - to write "e". Examples: mesh-ok; sack-ek. From this rule there is an exception - the word "cheap".
- One and two letters "n" in those adjectives that are formed from nouns.
Two letters "n" will be written in adjectives, which are formed from the following words:
- From nouns, the basis of which ends in "n".
- From the noun with the suffixes -on and -non.
There is an exception in this rule - this word is "windy".
One letter "n" is written:
- The suffixes -an and -yann in the adjectives, which are formed from nouns. There are exceptions, these words are tin, glass, wooden.
- In short adjectives, except for forms in the masculine gender.
Suffixes -sk and -k in adjectives. In the event that adjectives have a short form or are formed from nouns whose stem ends in "h", "k", "c", you need to write the suffix -k. In other cases -sk.
How to find a suffix in a word
Knowing that the suffix is located between the ending and the root of the word, we can easily find it.
- First, it is necessary to select these morphemes.
- In order to determine the ending, the word should be harnessed or declined. The variable part at the end of the word will be its end. It should be circled in a square.
- Next, you need to pick up the words with the same root. This will make it possible to determine the root. They will be an unchanged part and a common part for all the root words. The root is denoted by an arc.
- The part that remains between the root and the ending is the suffix. It is denoted by a triangle - ^. A word can have more than one suffix.
Typical errors in the selection of suffixes
- The final letters of the suffix are often confused with the ending.
- The suffix may also include a part of the root or part of the previous suffix.
- Can not distinguish between individual suffixes and the sum of suffixes, for example, "literacy".
- In the absence of a suffix, one can select a part of the word root in the suffix.
We remembered what a suffix is and how to find it.