What are the continents called?
Watch the video
The mainland is a very large land area thatit is washed with water. In scientific circles it is considered that the terms "continent" and "continent" are words of a synonym. To date, there are six continents on Earth. All together, they occupy no more than 30% of the entire surface of the planet. But there was a time when the continents were smaller.
History of the appearance of continents
Once upon earth, there was one continent. It was called Kenorland. Later, under the tectonic effect, this super-continent split and reassembled already into the continent of Nun. Then the story repeated itself, and the supernatural Rodinia was formed. The last giant continent on the planet Earth was Pangea.
Pangea divided into Laurasia and Gondwana. Gondwana united the continents that are today in the Southern Hemisphere, namely Africa, South America, Antarctica and Australia. Laurasia also included the continents of the modern Northern Hemisphere (Eurasia and North America). Scientists suggest that all continents sooner or later can again gather in a single supermateric called Pangea Ultima.
Now let's move on to the state of affairs for today and find out what is attributed to the continents today. This you can also read in our article - What are the mainland.
What are the modern continents of the earth called
- Eurasia is considered the largest continent of the Earth. Approximately three quarters of the world's population lives here. This part of the land is also the only continent that is washed by four oceans. Most of the continent is in the northern and eastern hemispheres;
- Africa - the second largest continent on Earth, crosses the equator. The only part of the land that stretches from the northern subtropical climatic belt to the southern subtropical zone;
- North America is a continent located in the north of the western hemisphere. The mainland is the largest island in the world - Greenland. Here is the longest river system;
- South America is the mainland of the Western and Southern Hemispheres. It is in South America that you can find the highest and most powerful waterfalls in the world, such as Angel and Iguazu, respectively;
- Australia is located in the Eastern and Southern hemispheres. Most of the continent is a single state - the Australian Union;
- Antarctica occupies the southernmost point of the Earth and is washed by the waters of the Southern Ocean. At the same time, 85% of the glaciers of the Earth are located here.
In our article How many continents on the EarthThe same view is given regarding the number of continents on Earth, but not all scientists agree with it. For example, Western scholars put forward opinions on the presence of seven, five and even four continents on the planet Earth.