Making a box for pipes in the bathroom: the choice of building materials + installation instructions
The communications laid on the walls are unlikely to decorate the interior of the sanitary unit.
For their masking use a box for pipes in the bathroom, which you can do yourself.
How to hide communications
Wiring in the bathroom includes pipes connected to various plumbing fixtures (bathtub, washbasin, and with a combined toilet and to the toilet), as well as various appliances and devices: valves, filters, water meters.
To communication systems are not conspicuous, they are hidden, using various methods.
One of them is hidden wiring. In this case, the pipes are hidden inside the walls, arranging special grooves in the latter. However, this method is not universal, since it has several limitations:
- wall shaving is possible only during a major overhaul, since in this case, the complete elimination of finishing coatings and replacement of communication equipment is required;
- when installing hidden cabling, it is impossible to hide a filter, counter or other device;
- construction standards prohibit punching pens in the supporting structures, since they dramatically reduce the strength of the walls;
- there are restrictions on the dimensional characteristics of pipes that are used for hidden wiring: their diameter should not exceed 50 mm. Consequently, this method is in no way suitable for masking a thick sewer pipe;
- This method is not suitable for risers, the appearance of which hardly adorns the interior of the bathroom.
An alternative to hidden wiring is considered to be a combined system that provides for the construction of a duct on the surface of walls. In this case, the pipes are placed in a specially allocated space, and the outer walls are finished in accordance with the style of the interior.
Advantages of camouflage box
In the design of modern bathrooms, such constructions are often used to mask one or several pipes, since the boxes have a number of undeniable advantages.
Similar constructions are peculiar to:
- Neat appearance, which is achieved using quality materials for the manufacture and design of the structure.
- Easy installation. The system can be performed not only with a capital, but also with cosmetic repairs, since the box can be installed even on top of the finished decoration.
- Providing easy access to the pipeline, which allows not only to take meter readings, but also to monitor the status of pipes, and, if necessary, to repair instruments and communications.
- The possibility of combining the box with the installation for the toilet, shelves and other details, thereby achieving optimal use of the area, even a small room.
Carefully made and trimmed box can be a real decoration of the bathroom, combining the functionality and aesthetics.
Choosing building materials for installation
For the manufacture of boxes, you must first build a frame, which is then covered with cladding material, and often also additionally finished, for example, covered with tiles.
The base is made of galvanized metal guides (vertical and horizontal). As a coating, various types of building materials can be used, which should have a number of qualities, namely:
- Moisture resistant. Boxes are arranged in bathrooms, which contain an increased percentage of water vapor.
- Light weight and small thickness. From these factors depends both on the ease of installation and the size of the finished structure: too dense walls can "take away" a significant part of the space.
- Eco-friendly. Such structures should not emit toxic substances or have a pronounced allergenic effect.
- Aesthetic appearance or the possibility of additional finishing.
The most common materials used for plating are the following types of materials.
Option # 1: plastic panels (PVC)
Polymer panels have a beautiful appearance. They are available in a large assortment, which allows you to choose a finishing material that is ideally combined with the color palette of the bathroom.
In addition to aesthetics, PVC panels have high consumer qualities:
- perfect water resistance;
- resistance to deformation and mechanical damage;
- durability: flexible and durable plastic can serve for many years;
- ease of care - just clean the contaminated parts with a damp cloth;
- ease of installation: to work with this material does not require special skills and special equipment;
- availability: PVC panels - low-cost finishing materials, having a low cost;
- the ability to quickly repair: damaged structural elements can be removed without destroying the entire box;
- compactness. The panels have a small thickness, so the structures constructed from them do not take up much space, which is extremely important for miniature rooms.
As an alternative to plastic panels, drywall is usually used, which is widely used in construction.
Option # 2: moisture resistant plasterboard
There are various varieties of this popular material.For the design of the bathroom should not use standard drywall (gypsum board), designed for rooms where moderate humidity prevails (up to 70%).
At the same time, a moisture resistant type of gypsum board - GKVL, which is easily recognizable by the green surface of the plates, is well suited for finishing the plumbing assembly. These sheets are suitable for both standard facing works and for creating complex structures with convex, concave and curved surfaces (in this case, however, working with drywall requires special skills).
Another additional advantage of GKVL is the impregnation of plates with anti-fungal drugs that prevent the development of harmful mold.
At the same time, the choice of material should take into account some features of drywall:
- Installation of structures made of gypsum board or gypsum plasterboard requires more effort than installing systems made of plastic or MDF boards.
- It is not possible to make a folding construction out of drywall,therefore, in the manufacture of the box, it is imperative to provide a door or hatch providing access to the valves, meters and other elements of the communication system.
- GCR plates (GKVL) are not a finishing material: when making a box from them, it is important to consider the finish. Considering the high humidity in bathrooms, tile trimming is usually used, however other types of decoration can be used: paint, decorative plaster, wallpaper.
It is important to note that experts advise to additionally impregnate even moisture-resistant plates with a special compound in order to increase the strength and resistance of the element to moisture.
In addition, it is possible to build a box and from other materials.
Option # 3: waterproof plywood
This modification differs from ordinary plywood by the special composition of the glue used. The sheets have a thickness of from 6 to 40 millimeters and fairly good consumer properties, however, despite the name, it is better to further treat them with special compositions that improve water resistance. The main disadvantage of waterproof plywood - the high cost, because of which it is used less frequently than other building materials.
Option # 4: MDF and HDF plates
Sometimes you can find tips on using for the device boxes of MDF panels (Medium Density Fiberboard - medium density fiberboard). It is hardly worth following such recommendations, since this material absorbs water vapor well and is not too suitable for wet rooms.
It is much more expedient to cover the structure with HDF sheets (high density board High Density Fiberbord). This material resists moisture well, so that the structures made of it do not lose their properties for 10 or more years.
Option # 5: OSB plates
Oriented strand board (OSB, OSB, Oriented Strand Board) - multilayer sheets, glued with resin, which is made of synthetic wax and other additives, can be another suitable coating option.
There are several varieties of this material. For the manufacture of boxes, it is best to stay on OSB3 sheets (with additional impregnation), as well as on OSB4 sheets. The latter can be used for especially durable structures or in places where a large load falls.
Choosing the optimal design
Pipe fencing can be performed in different ways, and the most common configurations are as follows.
Cabinet cabinets. This option is usually provided for risers and other vertical systems. The design provides full access to communications. In addition, it is easy to combine with shelves and other devices to maximize the use of useful space.
Partition walls. These structures are installed on the entire width and height of the room, practically separating a certain part. Although in this case the area of the bathroom is somewhat reduced, the room looks very neat, as all communication systems are masked.
Option especially suitable for spacious baths. It can also be advised when using a suspended toilet, as the partition allows you to hide and install simultaneously with communication systems. Behind the partition can be placed and accessories for storing necessary things, for example, household chemicals.
Compact boxbuilt around pipes.The most frequently used construction, which practically does not absorb the space, but gives a neat look to the interior. Such systems can be both vertical and horizontal, adjacent to the floor or ceiling.
Below we describe in detail the stages of manufacturing such a design.
Preparing to install the box
Prior to the construction of the structure should be carried out preliminary work.
If a new pipeline is being laid, it is advisable to provide for a minimum number of connections.
Then choose the design of the box that would be best suited for placing the bathroom, take all the necessary measurements, and then carry out a design drawing sketch. At the same time it is necessary to provide access to devices and devices (filters, valves).
According to the drawn scheme should calculate the required amount of building materials, providing a small margin.
It is also important to stock up in advance with all necessary equipment, as well as to purchase panels, guides and other necessary structural elements. They need to be carefully examined to identify chips, defects and damage in time.
Necessary tools and materials
For the construction of the box will need the following devices:
- well sharpened construction knife;
- scissors for metal;
- level or square;
- screwdriver or screwdriver;
- fasteners (screws, wood screws, dowels);
- drill or hammer drill.
From the materials should be purchased:
- galvanized metal profiles (types ud, cd);
- silicone sealant;
- GVKL, HDF, OSB or plastic panels (in the latter case, it is important to choose a shade that matches the color palette of the interior);
- PVC skirting boards designed for masking joints with walls.
For the preparation of drywall boxes for additional finishing may also need putty and corners.
Frame Assembly Instructions
Regardless of what type of coating provides for the design of the box, first of all you should install the metal frame.For this it is important to adhere to the following regulations. Work should begin with the walls adjacent to the corner.
First of all, you need to make markup on vertical and horizontal surfaces.
After that, you should install guides (ud profile), which define the dimensions of the box. To attach them to the surface, you can use euroscrews (dowels), drill holes in the appropriate places with a drill. For walls lined with tiles, well suited self-tapping screws "flea" (length 2.5 mm, diameter 3.5 mm), which can be screwed into the inter-tile joints.
If the pipes run horizontally, it is enough to spread the guides parallel to the floor and fix them. After that, an outer corner should be formed, twisting the corner stand of two profiles ud. Their shelves should be directed at right angles in different directions, and then connected with small screws.
The bearing profile cd is cut with a knife into parts whose dimensions correspond to the width and length of the box.On the vertical surface is fixed the first angular edge, which determines the stiffness. The resulting sections of the profile are inserted with one end into the installed guide, and with the other into the stiffener, so that parts of the angle are connected to the profile.
At a certain distance, which can vary from 30 to 70 cm, jumpers should be added - they give the system durability and reliability, and are also used to mount panels.
Having completed the work on the one hand, in the same way a second corner profile is attached to the other wall, after which the work on creating the box frame is considered completed.
Two options for frame cladding
To the base should be connected elements of the finishing material. Consider the most common options, each of which has its own characteristics.
Work with PVC panels
This is one of the easiest ways to mask pipes.
Instructions for implementation:
- Install the start profile by carefully fastening it with small screws on the installed guide part. Measure out a strip of plastic panel of the required size, then cut it off with a knife.
- Fix one panel in the starting profile, fix the other panel to the corner profile, then install the latter to the other plane of the box. For fasteners, you can use the "bugs" (small screws).
- In a similar way, the second side of the box is assembled, while the starting profile is fixed and fixed on the last plastic panel, which is easiest to do with silicone sealant.
- In places where it is necessary to provide access to important communication elements (cranes, joints, meters), it is important to cut through the inspection openings on which special hatches are fixed (with sealant or other means).
- At the end of the work, you should install plastic baseboards at the joints of the panels with the floor, walls, and ceiling.
To quickly disassemble the plastic box, it is important to remember which side left the loose panel. If necessary, this element is delayed as far as possible to the side, and then taken and removed. After inspection of pipes or repairs, the integrity of the structure is restored by the same method: the corner of the panel is delayed, after which it returns to its place.
Work with GVKL plates
Installation of a plasterboard is also quite easy.
- First of all, it is necessary to correctly cut sheets of PVCs in accordance with the calculated dimensions. To do this, they need to put on a flat surface, mark with a tape measure and put small cuts on the surface.
- The notches need to be combined with a metal ruler or a long rail, and then cut the surface with a construction knife. On the line should be broken plasterboard sheet, if necessary, trim the edge with a knife.
- The blocks prepared in this way are attached to the frame using self-tapping screws. In this case, the sheets are pressed as tightly as possible to the profiles, and the screws are screwed first into the drywall and then into the metal guides.
- It is important to make sure that the fastener caps are necessarily screwed on the surface line or even lower, which is especially important if you plan to further finish the box with tiles. In order to prevent the appearance of cracks on the panels GKVL, it is important to twist the screws at a distance of 20-30 mm from the edges.
Having completed the installation, it is important to prepare the structure for subsequent finishing works. For this, the joints and points of junction to the horizontal surfaces are treated with sealants to create a dense protective layer.
After that, the surface is covered with putty, smearing fasteners. Reinforcement can be installed by installing perforated corners on the inner and outer corners of parts. Having finished the work and having dried the construction well, you can start gluing the tile or performing other finishing works.
Installation of the invisible hatch
For access to pipes with plasterboard construction canuse a finished plastic door or make a masked opening panel consisting of an aluminum frame, door, magnetic lock, hinge and knot structure.
In order to open the invisible door, it is enough to press its middle, after which the magnetic lock snaps off, releasing the door from the frame.
Installation of the hatch is as follows:
- Even at the preliminary stage should determine the location of the door. Usually it is located in the center of the box or partition that allows you to better withstand the symmetry of the pattern when facing tiles.
- When installing the frame, it is important to leave a niche (on two or four sides), the size of which corresponds to the parameters of the hatch. After its erection, the frame is attached to the profiles with the help of long screws (special holes are provided for them). According to the instructions attached to the kit, the door and other details of the hatch are attached to the frame.
- Next, the frame is covered with plasterboard sheets, which are overlapped on the frame of the hatch (it should also be attached to the covering with screws).
- Upon completion of the phase of work, the drywall and the door is covered with a layer of primer. After drying, the hatch and the box are covered with tiles (one-color or with a pattern). All joints between the tiles are covered with sealant, after which the structure is left alone for two days for final drying.
The final stage - cutting through the hatch, which is performed using a sharp stationery knife, directed at an angle of 45 degrees.
Useful tips on the device
When constructing a structure, it is important to consider the following recommendations of specialists:
- If the box is intended to mask vertical pipes, marking should be carried out starting from the floor.
- Be sure to provide a door or hatch at the valve and the water meter.
- Regardless of the material used for the device, the anti-fungal agent that protects against harmful microorganisms should be applied to its internal surface.
- In the bathroom with a high vapor content, it is highly desirable to avoid wooden structures: in this case, preference should be given to the metal profile.
- It is not advisable to use various types of chipboard, including waterproof plates, for the device box, because this material swells under the influence of water vapor.
- When mounting the structure to the ceiling, the transverse parts are spaced 30 centimeters from each other to ensure proper rigidity of the structure.
- With closely spaced pipes, it is better not to build separate boxes around each of them, but to create a single structure for the entire communication system.
It is important to ensure that the box does not touch the communications: the minimum distance of the plating from the pipe should be 3 centimeters.
Roller shutters can become an alternative to the partition box. They give the interior a stylish look and also provide full access to the pipelines.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
On the videos below you can see detailed instructions on how to make a box of the most common types of material: polymer panels and sheets GKVL.
How to close the pipe and installation of drywall:
Successful use of PVC panels:
With proper selection of material and precise following step-by-step instructions, even a novice master can create a comfortable and stylish design that fits well with the bathroom interior.