How to test DirectX?
Most games and programs on the computer requireinstalled a multimedia package DirectX, without which these games and programs will not work correctly. To understand why this package is needed and what it is, you can read our article What is directx.
Often games also require the latest version of the package, otherwise they just will not start. However, not every user and gamer knows how to check the version of DirectX.
Let's take a closer look at how to check the version of DirectX and run the diagnostic service.
How to check the version of DirectX yourself
There is a very simple way to verify the version of a multimedia package that operates on any version of Windows OS:
- Click Start - Run ...
- In the new window, enter "dxdiag" and click OK.
- In the "System" tab, find the item "DirectX version", where the current version will be indicated.
If the version is obsolete, then you need to install a newer one by downloading from the company's website.
You can read more about the installation in our article How to update DirectX.
Also, you can read more about checking the version of the package from our article How to find out which DirectX.
How to run DirectX Diagnostic Tools
DirectX Diagnostic Tools check for all components of the multimedia package. Diagnostic tools can identify:
- Wrong version of DirectX. This means that DirectX needs to be updated or reinstalled.
- Absence of hardware acceleration. Many programs will work without acceleration much slower or will not work at all.
- Incorrectly installed devices. This means that the joystick or other accessory or device does not work with the OS system due to incorrect drivers.
- Unsigned drivers. Some drivers may be incompatible with the latest version of DirectX, which will worsen their performance on the Windows operating system.
To run the diagnostic tool, you must:
- Click Start - Run.
- Enter the word "dxdiag" and press OK.
- The same window will appear as in the instructionprevious section. Diagnosis will start to identify problems. After the diagnostics are over, you can see all necessary information about the system in the window tabs.
Also in these windows it will be possible to change somedata like increased hardware acceleration. However, this method works only in Windows XP. In their newer versions, no parameters can be changed in the tabs. And the update of DirectX is only through downloading and installing a new version.