How to paste wallpaper?
Watch the video
Wallpapers, perhaps, the most common for thisthe moment the material used to finish the walls inside the premises. The popularity of wallpaper is largely due to the very large variety of their colors, patterns and textures. Modern industry produces wallpapers made on the basis of various artificial and natural materials, from the cheapest, paper, and expensive, cork or textile. Therefore, the wallpaper is a very democratic finishing material - if desired, each buyer can find in the wallpaper wallpaper, suitable for him at the price and consumer qualities. More details about the existing types of wallpaper is told in our article What are the wallpapers.
Wallpaper can be easily pasted on the walls with your own hands. This does not require special skills and expensive devices - you just need to know and observe in practice certain rules for their gluing.
How to properly paste wallpaper: the stages of work
The entire process of gluing any wallpaper consists of three main stages:
- Calculation and purchase of the required number of wallpapers;
- Preparation of walls for their gluing;
- Directly glue wallpaper on the walls.
Let's consider each of these stages separately.
Calculate the number of rolls of wallpaper and purchase them
No matter what kind of wallpaper you aregoing to glue, before you go to the store for them, you need to make a series of simple measurements and calculations and find out how many rolls you need. To do this you will need a roulette and a calculator.
- Measure the width and length of the room with a tape measure. Add the figures and multiply them by two - so you will know the perimeter of the room.
- Specify in the store the width and length of the rollyour favorite wallpaper. The standard width is 0.53 m, length is 10 m, but for some types of wallpaper it may be different, so it will be better to secure and find out in advance.
- Divide the perimeter of the room by the width of the wallpaper and round the resulting number in a larger direction - so you will know the number of wallpaper patterns necessary for this room.
- Measure the height of the room and add to it 10 centimeters of allowance, which may be required to join the pattern on the adjacent canvases - this will be the length of one sheet.
- Divide the length of one roll into the length of one canvas, discard the fractional part of the total (it will go to the trimming) and find out how many whole canvases you can cut from one roll.
- Divide the total number already known to youthe necessary cloths for the number of canvases in the roll, round the resulting number in the big side and write it down so as not to forget - this is the number of rolls of wallpaper you need to buy. If the wallpaper you chose is not the most expensive, with these calculations you can not take into account the area of windows and doors - let it be better a few meters of wallpaper will be left in reserve in case of defects in drawing or marriage in your work.
When buying wallpaper in the store, make sure that all the rolls have a completely identical marking - this will save you from possible deviations in the color of the wallpaper taken from different lots.
Preparing walls for wallpapering
To prepare the walls you will need:
- putty knife;
- large atomizer;
- rough sandpaper.
Before you glue new wallpaper, you must completely remove old ones from the walls.
- In order to make old paper wallpapers easierseparated from the walls, they need to be moistened and wait for a while, until they are slightly deoxidized. Dampen the old wallpaper with warm soapy water, applying it with a large sponge, or sprinkle wallpaper from the spray gun.
- Remove the soaked wallpaper from the walls with a spatula or scraper. Unmodified areas moisten again and after a while again try to scrape them off.
- Surface of thick thick wallpaper before moistening scratchesknife in different directions - so the water will more easily penetrate into their thickness.
- In two-layer wallpaper, first top coat, then moisten their base and after a few minutes remove it.
- If the wallpaper stubbornly resist your efforts,go to the extreme measures - arm yourself with an iron and a large wet rag. Iron the wallpaper through a wet cloth with a hot iron - under the steam they will fall off the wall.
- If there was never wallpaper on the wall before,the wall can be either painted or whitewashed. Remove the paint from the wall with sandpaper. Whitewash rinse with a sponge. Thick layer of whitewash first, moisten, then scrape it with a spatula, chalk remnants also rinse with a sponge.
- Examine the walls and splash all cracks and irregularities in them.
After the walls have completely dried out, and the putty completely hardens, proceed to pasting the wallpaper.
General rules for gluing wallpapers
Wallpaper glued together, so you definitely needassistant. There are two ways of gluing wallpapers: overlap or butt. Overlap (the lateral edge of one cloth covers the lateral edge of the adjacent panel) glue thin, mostly paper wallpaper.
The butt (the lateral edges of adjacent panels only touch each other) glue dense thick wallpaper.
- Each cloth is glued, straightening it and pressing against the wall indirection from top to bottom and from the middle to the edges.
- When gluing wallpaper with a picture, be sure to accurately match the report of the pattern on adjacent panels.
- Wallpaper gluing in a way overlapped necessarilystart from the window. In this case, the joints of the panels will be barely noticeable. Butt-off wallpaper is also better to glue from the window, but in this case this rule is not necessary to perform. Particularly difficult is the wallpapering on the corners of the room, so let's talk about it specifically.
In the corner, never glue the whole cloth wallpaper. In the corners of all the wallpaper glued only overlap. To do this, measure the distance from the last glued before the corner of the panel to the corner and add to this value two or three centimeters. Then take the next cloth, lay this distance from its lateral edge at the top and bottom, connect the marked points with a straight line. On the planned line cut off the excess width of the panel. Next, the trimmed cloth is glued, while only a few extra centimeters will go to the other wall and they can easily be laid on it. The next whole canvas is glued end-to-end to the corner, laying it on this allowance. About the rules of gluing wallpapers in the corners of the room is told in the article How to glue the wallpaper in the corners.
- Thin paper wallpaper completely smeared with glue from the wrong side and after some aging glue them on a dry wall. Whengluing of dense wallpaper with glue andthe wallpaper itself, and the wall. Wallpaper on non-woven base glue does not smear at all and apply glue only to the wall. More details about the features of pasting such wallpapers have already been discussed in our article How to glue vinyl wallpaper on non-woven basis.
- The line of gluing the side of the first panel of wallpaper is marked on the wall with a plumb-line - it should be placed strictly vertically.
- Cloths of wallpaper with a picture are marked with a facialhand, controlling the coincidence of the pattern and leaving allowances to eliminate possible errors. Wallpaper without a pattern can be marked from the wrong side. It is likely that the rolls of wallpaper on individual cloths will be made with large tailor's or special wallpaper shears, or with an acute sharpened knife and a long metal ruler.
About how to glue wallpapers, described in our article How to glue wallpapers.