How to find the area of a rectangle: methods, formulas, examples. How to measure the length and width of the shape, and how to calculate the area of a rectangle in an autocade without formulas?
Area is the numerical characteristic of a two-dimensional geometric figure. Simply put,area is the size of the object under study.In this article we consider the rules for calculating and measuring the area. Also we will learn to find the area of a rectangle and other geometric shapes.
The main thing in the article
What you need to know to find the area of the rectangle?
Rectangle- is a parallelogram having four sides that intersect at right angles to each other.
In a rectangle, the parallel sides are the same in size. In order to find the area of a rectangle, you need to know two basic quantities:
- width- this is the side (short) side,which can be represented as a height;
- the length- This is the long (lower / upper) part of the figure to which the height is drawn.
With these values, you can calculate the areaaccording to the formula.
How to measure the length and width of a rectangle?
To measure a rectangle, you need to recall the course of mathematics of primary classes, when its sides were measured with the help of a ruler. In a more “adult” life, these rules are used in measurements of houses, rooms, land plots, only the ruler is used as the main instrument for measuring, but the meter, building tape measure, electronic total station, range finder, measuring wheel.
How to find the area of a rectangle: methods, formulas, examples
There are only two ways to find the area of a rectangle:
- multiply the length by the width;
- multiply the width by the length.
According to the rules of mathematicsfrom changing places of factors the final result will not change. Therefore, we consider the formula for only one of the options for calculating the area of a rectangle.
The area is denoted by the Latin letter S.
The calculation formula is as follows:
S = a * b
- a- one side that is wide and can be called h in some sources as height;
- b- the second side, protruding length.
Example of calculating the area of a rectangle
If, by condition, the width (height) of the rectangle is 5 cm and the width is 10 cm, then the area will be calculated as:
S = a * b = 5 * 10 = 50 cm²
Important: The area of whatever shape you are looking for, it will be measured in square centimeters, square meters, etc.
Work inautocadehow to calculate the area without formulas?
AutoCAD(AutoCAD) is an automated system that allows you to createtwo-and three-dimensional design and drawing.
The program is available for download on the Internet. With its help, you can calculate the area of any shape, including non-standard, without using formulas.
You must first open the application.AutoCAD. After, the following actions are performed:
- Open tabs“Home” - “Utilities” - “Measure”.
- In the opened panel click on the command."Area".
- The program will ask you to designate the main points of the perimeter of the object being measured. They should be put down.
- The shape's perimeter appears, and the area in mm² is displayed in the Command Line Log. Therefore, the amount received will be verybig.It remains only to convert mm² to cm², m², km².