How to create a Java-game?
For writing games there is enoughnumber of programming languages. The difficulty level is different. Experts believe that Java is the most suitable language for writing mobile applications. In mastering it is quite simple. Therefore, in order to learn how to make games for mobile phones, you just need to have patience and make a little effort. And in this article, we'll show you how to write a game in Java.
Creating games for mobile phones
- First you need to install the necessary components:
- A set of emulators, with which to test the written modules. This is the J2ME Wireless Toolkit.
- The compiler that is used to create the archives. This is J2SE.
- Text editor.
- Next, you need to run the WTK Toolbar application
- Create a new project, using the "File" menu, "New Project".
- Fill in the fields: the name of the project and the class. Click Ok. The new project will be located in the WTK program in the apps folder. Directory folders will contain the following:
- bin - executable files;
- folder res - resources;
- folder lib - libraries;
- src folder - source files.
- It is necessary to think carefully about the plot line and graphics.
- In accordance with the chosen theme, write a program for java-games.
- It is necessary to test it, first with the help of an emulator, and then run on the phone.
- To do this, you need to compile the project through the WTK editor in the Build item. Click the Run button
- If there is no problem with the launch, you need to pack the application into 2 archives (.jad and .jar) to download to the phone.
- To do this, select the Project item. Next Package. Archives that appeared in the bin folder should be downloaded to your phone.
The main difficulties
In order to understand how to make a java game, you need to know what difficulties each beginner programmer of java games has to face. It:
- Possibilities of hardware resources.
- Satisfaction of users.
- Debugging the game.
Hardware resources. Processors of mobile devices, as a rule, are low-power in comparison with those located in desktops or PDAs. Plus, quite often in mobile devices there are no graphics accelerators. In this regard, it is necessary to analyze what the program spends most time on. But completely abandon the attempt to warn the various delays in the game should not be.
When writing programs for which the mainthe reason for the headache is performance, there is a proven approach: first you need to make it work, then so that it works correctly, and after that, you need to make it work quickly.
Satisfaction of users. When creating java-games for mobile devices, there are factors that can affect negatively the opinion of the game:
- Firstly, because the screen is small, it does not just fit everything as it was intended;
- Small keys are not very convenient to use, sometimes it prevents the player from achieving high results in the game;
- Very limited sound capabilities.
When creating a game, all this must be taken into account. In order to interest users, you need to create a game worthy of attention appearance, good sound design and fairly convenient management.
Debugging. This is the most time-consuming process. For this, it is most convenient to use an emulator, for example, WTK. Another good way to debug is the demonstration mode of the game. Ideally, all the functionality of the game should be involved in the demo mode.