How many letters are in the alphabet?
The alphabet is more or lessAn ordered system consisting of letters that are units of writing. Do not confuse letters with sounds that are units of spoken language. In the world there are about 6 thousand different languages, and the main alphabets are much smaller, only about 20.
For historians-linguists very curiousis the question of how many letters in the alphabet of a language. All the alphabets on the average contain from 20 to 30 letters, although there are also those that have only 10 units of the letter, there are those in which there are 50 of them. Let's talk in more detail about different alphabets.
- The Russian alphabet is otherwise called the alphabet. Even the first-grader knows how many letters in the Russian alphabet, their 33. Such an interpretation exists since 1918.
- How many letters in the English alphabet? There they are slightly smaller than in Russian, 26. The basis of the English alphabet was Latin. It contains 5 letters for vowel sounds, and 20 letters for consonants.
- The Italian alphabet contains 21 Latin letters. It does not include the letters J, K, W, X, Y, but they can be used in Italian.
- In the Ukrainian alphabet there are 33 letters from the end of the 19th century. It does not have ёё, Ъъ, ыы, Ээ, but Ґґ, Єє, Іі and Її are used. Instead of the letter Y, a combination of letters yo is used.
- The Latin alphabet includes 26 letters, it is the basis of many modern languages, it has 6 vowels and 20 consonants.
- The Greek alphabet contains 24 letters, 7 of them are vowels, and 17 are consonants.
- There are 38 letters in the Armenian alphabet, 29 of them are consonants and 7 are vowels.
- The German alphabet is based on Latin, in it there are 26 letters, three umlauts A a, O o, U u and ligature ß. 9 letters give vowel sounds, and 21 letters - consonants.